Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Kid Kitchen


Somehow I forgot to show you the kitchen that we made for Cade's birthday present....last month. Cade has been into cooking lately and asked for a kitchen. I new I wanted to make one, but went back and forth on whether to build it from scratch or to make one out of a nightstand. We finally decided that since he is a boy and this kitchen phase may not last long we would go with the nightstand option.


We started with an old nightstand that was in my parents garage. After lots of sanding, painting, cutting, laying the tile, more painting, and a few coats of polyurethane I'm trilled with how it turned out. The subway tile backsplash is my FAV detail.


Details
-we used a piece of 3/4" plywood from our scrap stash to make the over door front and the backsplash
-oven door - attached with 2 regular door hinges
-backsplash tiled with subway tile and grouted
-spray painted with Krylon Emerald Green and then 2 coats of Polyurethane
-facet - an old brass faucet that I spray painted
-sink - a stainless steel bowl from my kitchen
-burners - 2 circles painted with black paint
-fabric -attached using a wooden dowel and 2 cup hooks
-chalkboard attached using caulk

Total $ spent - just under $50

Linked to:
Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap up Party - Favorite Project of they Year


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

11 comments:

  1. I love it, Nikki! Great job ... and I agree with you that it's best to go with the smaller option. We bought a larger kitchen for our boys before we had Jake, and it only lasted for about 6 months before they totally forgot it existed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that is too cute! I want it in my size!

    Luvs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and creative, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooo love this! I have photo of one saved if I ever have room to do one for Blair. Yours turned out so great!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It's so cute! I'm getting ready to start on my son's kitchen. So glad I found your blog - all the kitchens I've seen are so super girly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Very good idea, too. I bet he loves it.

    -Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog through tatertos! I love this idea. Just genius. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! what a great idea!!! never would have thought of that....sooo creative and something i might just copy one day!
    found you thru tatertots...
    following you now!
    michelle..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beyond adorable and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project! We'd love to feature this on Built by Kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and appreciate each and every single one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...