Tuesday, February 4, 2014

New Dining Room Table - Made from Oak Flooring


I have a new dining room table!

Asher and I have been talking about building a farmhouse table for over two years. I originally wanted a table exactly like this one from Decor and the Dog.


I still really like this table, but Asher wanted a table that had a completely smooth table top, no grooves. He lays and refinishes wood flooring, so he decided to build our dining room table from tongue and groove red oak plank flooring. He knew that he could make the top completely smooth!

I have to admit that when he first suggested this, I wasn't too sure. I also couldn't picture it at all, but trusted him. My requests were that it have nice chunky square legs, an apron that looked like a normal table, and really straight lines. I left the rest up to him.


He did such a great job! It really turned out so much better that I could have pictured. We purchased legs and piece of plywood for the base. The table top, trim, apron, and leg braces are all made from tongue and groove flooring planks. He ripped the tongue and groove off of the backs to make the trim and apron pieces. That was the part that I couldn't see without actually seeing it as he was doing it.

One of the hardest decisions was choosing a stain color. I normally like a really dark stain, but almost every piece of stained furniture in our house is a dark cherry color. I decided that I wanted the dining table to be a little bit lighter. We ended up using 2 coats of Minwax Special Walnut, and then finished it with 3 coats of polyurethane in a satin finish. And when I say "we", I really mean my husband. He did everything. I just kept him company while he worked on it.


I am not normally a fan of oak wood, and really wasn't sure about choosing a stain color that let the wood grain show through, but in the end I am so happy with how it looks.


Here is a closeup of how he did the corners.


Here you can see all of the worm holes in the wood. One of my favorite parts of the wood is all of the natural imperfections.


It is so nice to sit at our new table every night for dinner. We all admire it as we are eating.

There are several other changes that have happened in this room, and more that may happen, but I will save that for another post.

I have have question for you...what style table would you call this? I really have no idea. I think it resembles a shaker style table, but most of them have more of a tapered leg. Would you call it a farmhouse table? What makes a farmhouse table a farmhouse table?

I am linking this post to these blog parties. Please go check them out.

House By Hoff - Be Bold Challenge
A Bowl Full of Lemons
The Pearl Blog - All Things Pretty Part-ay
Liz Marie Blog
House of Rose
Blissfully Ever After
Love of Home and Family
Tatertots and Jello
I Heart Nap Time
Lil' Luna
Somewhat Simple
Today's Creative Blog
Suburbs Mama
Making Home Base
Design, Dining + Diapers
Frugal Friday - The Shabby Nest
It's Overflowing


16 comments:

  1. The table looks great and I love the fabric on the chairs. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! I love the smooth-looking top. It's just a wonderful, classic look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool result you got! I never would have thought to use flooring for a table but it really works! We really need a bigger kitchen table and this post is convincing my hubby to build one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! We are thrilled with the results. I hope you can talk your husband into a new table. It was such a fun project.

      Delete
  4. That's beautiful! I love how it turned out, and since Hubby and I were talking about building our own table, I'm going to show him this picture. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee! Yes, show him the table. It was a fun project. I was pretty impressed with my husbands skills, he has never done anything like this before.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous table! I love seeing what people come up with when they build their own. That tabletop is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! Nice table. Decoration is also awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The table looks so great. And I love the paint color! Thanks for linking up to the Be BOLD challenge link party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This table is awesome! What a great idea! Thanks so much for linking up to the Be Bold Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice Dining Room Furniture table for every place I love your idea and the management of the space.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and appreciate each and every single one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...