It is safe to say that I won't have any pics of project teal until next week. The good news is that I have been working on plenty of other projects around here.
Let's talk about our playroom. I have had the hardest time deciding on and sticking to a color palette for this room. The original plan was navy and green. Then orange was added per Cade's request. Then I started working on the storage and we had some red bins so now we have a little red. I did the art work and also added in a little bit of aqua. I can't seem to decide on a wall color or find a rug that I like for what I am willing to pay. We have some work to do. :)
Yes, I have been a little indecisive, but there are still some good things going on in this room. First let's take a look at where it started.
This picture was taken 2 weeks after we moved into our house (1 year, 2.5 months ago). The tile floors had just been finished, and I just kind of put everything around the room. We chose not to paint the room initially because it had just been painted before we moved in and I really had no clue where I wanted to go with this room. The rug was a spare from my parents' garage that wasn't being used so we brought it in to give the boys a soft surface to play on. The corners of the room that aren't pictured have a sewing/office/craft corner for me next to the closet and an elliptical machine. It is a large room, but it is serving many of functions.
The closet contains some of the bulky toys, but I really wanted some storage in the room for the small items that they play with on a regular basis.We already had a bunch of the fabric drawers and I really like them so I wanted something that would hold them. The ClosetMaid shelving units were more that I wanted to spend, but I remembered bookmarking a post where DaNita used some of the inexpensive shelves from Walmart and made them work to hold the fabric bins. Score! I was able to purchase 3 bookcases for about $50.
My husband put the shelves together while I pulled all of the bins out of the closet to get them ready for their new homes. I reorganized a few of them and pulled out some of the other items what would fit well on the shelves. I know that my kids play with their things more when they are easily accessible, so I'm okay with having their things out. I just want them to look neat and be easy for them to clean up.
There are a lot less tears when it's time to clean up. I still need to label all of the bins, but I wanted to be sure that everything was working well before I did all of that.
The small shelves at the top have worked out really well. They are perfect for some of the odd toys like the electric drums and magnadoodle. They are also just the right size for photo boxes, so I may add a few of those for some of the toys that have really small pieces at some point.
This is the only side of the room that is close to being finished, but it's a big room so I'm taking it one section at a time.
Lots of progress has been made, but there is still plenty to do.
Playroom To Do List
-define the color palette
-paint walls (must decide on a color)
-find a rug
-finish the kid art display
I plan to tell you all about the gallery of art in a separate post, so if you have any specific questions about any of it, feel free to ask.
Linking up to these Blog Parties
A Bowl Full of Lemons - Tatertots and Jello - Positely Splendid - Delightful Order - It's Overflowing - The Shabby Nest