Monday, March 4, 2013

The Built Ins - Restyled


It is no secret that I have been working on some updates in our den. It has been a slow change, but it has been in a constant state of change since we moved in a little over two years ago. Sometimes in takes living in a place for some time to really know how you want to use the room. Sometimes you can work with hand me down furniture, and sometimes it's better to sell it all on Craigslist and just start over.

I tried and tried to work with what we had, and were given, but the den has never felt or looked just right to me. Sure, every change has been an upgrade, but it has never been cohesive or exactly what I wanted. It has basically been a room full of other peoples' castaways that just didn't go together. We were blessed to actually have furniture in this room to use for all of this time, but I was ready for it to feel like us. I also REALLY wanted the boys to have the leather loveseat in their playroom. I am still working on the whole furniture thing, but we are making progress. The red chair is gone and the leather loveseat has been moved to the playroom. I am getting a new neutral loveseat and a vintage chair from my Mom's house that used to belong to my grandmother. It will need to be reupholstered, so I will be picking out new fabric for that as well. I am getting way ahead of myself. I need to get back to the built ins.
 
 



I restyled the built ins again. I am going to show you what they look like now, because they are actually going to change again very soon. I have painted the backs of these 3 times, but with the revolving furniture they had to go neutral for a while to not stick out. I like that they feel nice and calm with mostly white pieces and books that have been turned around to blend in.



Overall I am pretty happy with the "stuff" on them. Will they change again at some point? I am sure, I can't leave stuff like that alone forever.

Since I am getting a new loveseat in a very neutral color and a brown rug, I plan to bring some color in by painting the backs of the bookcases again. I still haven't decided on a color, but I have it narrowed down to two. I am waiting until I actually have the couch so that I can pick out fabric for the chair, and then I will pick a color for the bookcases.

 Here is a look at the progression of the styling on these over the last 2 years.



Do you have bookcases or built ins that you are constantly tweaking? I can't be alone...



Linking up to these Blog Parties Tatertots and Jello - A Bowl Full of Lemons - The Bliss DiariesPositely Splendid - Delightful Order - It's Overflowing - The Shabby Nest 
-House of Hepworths 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and appreciate each and every single one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...