Thursday, August 4, 2011

Completely Random


Instead of a bunch of different short posts you get one long random one.

- I haven't been in the mood to post lately, and I'm completely okay with that. Friday Favs are officially dead. You are welcome. I have about 10-15 house/decor related projects that I could post about (some are pretty great), but I'm just not in the mood. I already said that.  I have no desire to write about them right now. Decor/DIY type stuff is still my fav thing to do, but for now I'm just not feeling it when it comes time to sit down and write about.  I'm sure it will show up at some point, but for now, I'm not going to feel pressured to do Decor/DIY type posts.d

- I think that part of the reason I'm not into writing about Decor/DIY stuff at the moment is because I'm working really hard at being more intentional with my children. I want to enjoy them growing up and really be present with them each day. I don't want to be halfway playing with them and really thinking about some DIY project that I could be working on.

- Henry was sick all of last week. Having a miserable baby makes it really hard to eat well and exercise.  I realized during that week that the whole Body for Life eating plan would not be a lifestyle change for me. Normally at this point I would just choose to bale and start eating everything in sight. Nope. Not this time. I will push through. (ok, the real truth is I did eat whatever while Henry was sick, but I'm back on track now and have been all week.) I'm back to counting calories. I haven't been successful with it before, but this time around I have a smart phone so it's been much easier to keep track of. So far, so good. I was scared to weigh myself and give an update on monday so I chose not to.

- Henry's vocabulary is starting to grow. This week he has added cookie (he started yelling it as soon as we walked into publix - he wanted his free cookie), popcorn, and Mimi.

- Cade starts Kindergarten, and we are going to home school. I said that I would NEVER home school my children. Some of my closest friend home school their children, but I was still very closed to the idea. I purchased a K-4 curriculum last fall so that I would have something productive to do with Cade each day. You know, just for something to do, not because I wanted to home school. My heart started to change. I still wasn't sure that we would home school, but I was more open to the idea. By the time it was time to register Cade to see if he would be accepted into the magnet school I was pretty sure that I was going to home school. I still registered for the magnet school and of course he was accepted. I was still leaning towards home schooling. I didn't know "why?" I felt it was the right thing, but I still felt like it was the right direction. Cade is extremely social and smart and I knew that he would with out a doubt enjoy regular school, but I just couldn't get settled on it. So I gave up his spot in the magnet school and decided to home school. FOR SURE.  It still bugged me that when someone would ask my Why?, I didn't feel like I had a good reason. I just knew that I would trust God and do it anyway. I am so glad that I trusted God on this one. One night this week Cade brought me a book by E. H. Kenyon and asked me to read it to him. The title of the book is Identification (A Romance in Redemption). This is a deep book that I have never attempted to read, but have heard about. I read the first 7 chapters to him that night. He didn't want me to quit reading. A day or two later he brought me a stack of books to read to him, a few new books that he had just gotten, The Pokey Little Puppy, and Identification. He reminded me that we were on Chapter 8. We read Chapter 8. I looked at the stack of books and the Lord said to me (in that still small voice) This is why you are going to home school him. I realized that the reason I was going to home school Cade was so that I could determine what is taught to him. God is so good. It's always nice when you know you are doing the right thing that he shows you why. I was happy to know that I didn't miss it. I can now say that I am excited about this new school year. I'm excited to see what God has in store for us.

Have a great weekend!



Follow Me on Pinterest

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

5 comments:

  1. Love following your projects. Homeschooling is great! I'm so proud of you! Purposeful Parenting! You go girl! Looking forward to hearing of your successful year of learning and adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you extremely well with your homeschool, Nikki! It is definitely a challenging journey, but well worth it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cade is going to thrive at homeschooling! And I LOVE the things that interest him. He'll be a great teacher one day;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that still small voice. Where would we be without it?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited for you and your homeschooling journey! That is exactly how I felt when deciding to homeschool. It was a calling. I just can't imagine doing any thing else now. Do what is in your heart, no matter what anyone else thinks about it. I still get asked "what about socialization?" Which really makes me laugh! My kids will talk your leg off and have manners. Oh I could go on and on, but I won't. Excited for you, best of luck!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and appreciate each and every single one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...